, that will be held at Acuario Hotel (Marina Hemingway), in Havana on July 5-8, 2010.
Near the closing of the last year of the first decade of the 21rst century, humankind is still facing a social, economic, political, cultural and environmental crisis, whose impacts have become more dramatic during the last years. The concentration of economic and political power is ever more marked, the struggle for power is acquiring greater complexity, and the gap between the rich and poor is deeper.
In the midst of such a serious situation, religion acquires significance both at the personal and the social level, and is undergoing inner transformations due to the emergence of new trends, functions and organization ways.
Papers will be presented and discussed in oral presentations, panels, round tables, lectures, posters and videos on the following topics:
- Religion and political power.
- Religion, social heterogeneity and social networks.
- Religion, poverty, marginality and inequality.
- Role of Religion in the Latin American integration processes.
- Religion and ethics.
- Multiculturalism and ethnic-religious diversity. Dialogues and conflicts.
- Influence of the so-called New Religious Movements in the Latin American and Caribbean religious context.
- Ecumenism in the current debate.
- Religion, gender and family.
- Religious plurality, religious freedom and secularism.
- Impact of Eastern religions in the West.
- Religion and migration.
- Religion and sexual diversity.
- Religion and the mass media.
The experience accumulated from the 1995, 1998, 2001, 2004 and 2007 meetings attended by religion scholars from all over the world, including outstanding personalities specialized in religion from the social sciences’ approach, guarantees the continuity of fruitful opinion exchanges from different viewpoints, in a favorable atmosphere for discussions full of scientific rigor and respect for each other’s opinion. All participants are warmly welcomed to Havana, the capital of Cuba.
REGISTRATION AND SUBMISSION OF PAPERS AND ABSTRACTS
Those wishing to attend must submit, before February 20, 2010, by e-mail:
A registration application with the following data:
- Name and Surnames.
- Address, Fax, email.
- Name of institution.
- Abstract of presentation (not exceeding 200 words).
- Specify if you will participate: presenting a paper, as an observer, accompanying person or undergraduate student.
Those presenting a paper must send prior to May 15, 2010:
- Full text of presentation (tentative presentation time about 10-15 minutes. According to the total number of presentations, presentation time will be announced after the program is made)
- The visual aids needed (video cassette, slide projector, Power Point, etc.).
Registration applications, abstracts and papers, or any request, should be sent to:
Dra. Ofelia Pérez Cruz
Chairman of the Organizing Committee
Fifth International Meeting of Socio-Religious Studies
Calle B No. 352 esquina a 15
El Vedado. Ciudad de la Habana
CP 10400, Cuba
Teléfonos: (53-7) 831-3610 y 833-5366
FAX: (53-7) 833-4327
Each participant will receive a booklet containing the abstracts of the presentations. Abstracts and presentations must be sent in Spanish, or English, or Portuguese. The presentations, with the author’s authorization, will be included in a compact disk (CD).
OFFICIAL LANGUAGES: English and Spanish are the official languages. The Organizing Committee must know in advance the language to be used in the presentation so as to provide interpretation services. Experience has shown that, if speaking slowly, Portuguese speakers can communicate with Spanish speakers.
Registration fee is:
- Participants: 150.00 CUC
- Accompanying person: 120.00 CUC
- undergraduate student: 80.00 CUC
(after official accreditation)
(The registration fee will be paid when registering at the venue) All payments must be made in cash (CUC), no credit cards, money orders or bank check, or any other way of payment will be accepted).
CUC means Cuban Convertible Currency. See www.cuba.cu for exchange rates.
This fee covers
- Right to participate in the work sessions of the event and the welcome cocktails and lunches.
- A working module.
Accomodations and transfer to the airport or to any tourist site can be booked through a travel agency that will be timely informed.
Unfortunately, the Organizing Committee does not have funds to provide financial assistance.
Oferta de Hospedaje
Venue: Hotel Acuario, Marina Hemingway.
Date: July 5-8, 2010.
CUBATUR Eventos turist package includes:
- All included daily accomodation.
- Transfer: Airport — Hotel — Airport.
- Assistance at airport and hotels.
Price / CUC / Daily / Person
Hotel Acuario: 42.00 (Double room per person) — 52.00 (Single room)
Only a Turist Visa is required to attend the event, if you travel under this package of CUBATUR Eventos, the Official Travel Agency of the event.
Cash payment for our services. as well as any other cash payments in Cuba, must be made in Cuban Convertible Pesos (CUC), the official currency.
Cuban Convertible Pesos can be obtained when you arrive to Cuba (at the airport, hotels, convention centers, exchange places and bank agencies) at the official exchange rate of that day.
Exchange currency: Euros, U.S. dollars, Canadian dollars, Pounds Sterling and Swiss Francs. For daily exchange rate go to: www.cuba.cu
Payment can also be made with the following credit cards: VISA, Master Card, CABAL and VISA Electrón, provided they had not been issued by United States Banks.
Page sent from:
(March 8, 2010)